Friday, December 12, 2014

A Journey with the Disciple Red Class by Adam

A Journey with the Disciple Red Class of 13/14

Ever since my foundation period, I have been encouraged by various members of our church SMPC (formerly SMCGC) to join the disciple course. However, as my mother was a facilitator in Disciple Red, I saw that the amount of time that she spent preparing for the class was quite a lot. Given that I was also involved in other activities at the time, I hesitated to join the Disciple class.   


However, persistence works, and after 4 or 5 more semesters of being encouraged to join the Disciple Red class, I went for it in the second half of the year 2013. I was then currently entering my 2nd year taking a Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, so my workload was relatively tougher than when I was in my Foundation year. I entered the class with strong mixed feelings.


During the first orientation of the Disciple Red Class, I was surprised to see a lot of people, as one of the side reasons that made up my mind to join was basically that there were not enough people to start a Disciple Class. There were around 15 people that attended the orientation and close to 20 that attended the first class of Disciple. Some of my classmates I knew quite well already, but others were still new to me. I got to know them better and better as the classes continued.

Soon however, a few classmates couldn’t attend because of other commitments or personal reasons. By the end of that semester, we only had 8 members remaining.




The myth that joining a disciple class takes up a lot of time is both true and untrue at the same time. It requires you to do bible study and devotion every day, which takes up about half an hour to one hour a day depending on how heavy the day’s reading is. However, as a Christian, we are all supposed to do devotion by ourselves, so this exercise in disciple class is actually just a guideline for our daily devotion. In retrospect, the only interruption that Disciple Course should have made in my life is the 3 hours class every Sunday that we attended. As the semester progressed, sometimes this class could take up time that was reserved for sports, studies or other activities that used to be done every Sunday afternoon. However, before long, I come to appreciate the fact that no matter what occurred; there was always the privilege of going for Disciple Class every Sunday afternoon to study God’s Word with a group of what was soon to be among my closest friends. Classes soon became a place of sharing, learning and enjoying God’s Word alongside each other’s company. After graduating, the gap where I used to go to Disciple Class every Sunday afternoon felt a bit empty every week.

The lessons learned in Disciple Red are very important indeed. Many of the topics discussed in this class soon became a starting foundation from which I could analyze and change my character. Issues discussed in certain topics became building blocks to learn to see the world around me differently. An example of this is the call out for disciples to follow Jesus’s mission to the last the least and the lost in this world. Studies done on the Old and the New testaments help to bring around a cohesive picture of the Bible as a continued history of God’s providence for mankind. Altogether, going through Disciple Red has brought to light the Bible as a personal guide for living daily life through the knowledge and wisdom of God speaking through it.

Disciple Red has helped me to mature in both knowledge and depth of character. New friends and experiences made through 3 semesters of classes will continue to be a highlight part of my life while studying here. As a conclusion, for those who have not joined, take a moment to reflect on your spiritual walk with God and ask Him if taking up Disciple Red might be the way for you to grow closer with Him and those around you. Amen.