Wednesday, October 9, 2013

ST Testimony



Many people are curious as to why I chose to come to Curtin Sarawak when there are many other universities in West Malaysia. I believe many West Malaysian students will reply the same thing:
“We've been 'cheated' by agents to come!”

Indeed I am one of the 'victims', considering that I have been rejected by every university I have applied to after high school. Since I do not want to enter a public university, upon consulting my education agent, I flew across the sea to this 'dismal' place. But due to this as well, I am given the treasured opportunity to befriend my dear Senadin Methodist Campus Gospel Center brothers-and-sisters. Before coming here, I do not have a clear belief, just an occasional incense worship. As my parents have no objection that I attend church, as long as I do not mix around with delinquents. I confidently told them that they don't have to worry, because SMCGC is filled with good people!

I remember my first day in Miri vividly. Due to my naivety, I did not call up my landlord in advance, hence I was forced to spend a night in the hotel. On the morrow, I tried to enter my rented house but no avail. It so happened that my neighbor at that time, came out and asked if there's anything he could help. And my neighbor was Pastor Jabez Tiong, a total stranger to me at the time and the first person I got to know in Miri. He suggested that I put my luggages at his place. As he was busy then, he told me he was bringing me to another person's house. I don't know about most people, but I was a little scared then, because back in my hometown, if there were ever someone who offered to bring you to another's home, it will be best not to follow. Because that person may end up a kidnapper, or from some form of cult. However I had no choice then. This was indeed God's plan, to provide an opportunity for me to learn more about Christianity. Pastor brought me to a brother-in-Christ's home then left. I still remembered receiving an invitation card to SMCGC from this brother. Due to both of us being strangers, we lacked conversation topics amongst us, so we just looked at each other and smiled awkwardly for an hour. Thank goodness it was nearing lunch time then, or else we had to be like socially awkward penguins for even longer! The brother brought me to meet more church brothers and sisters. After lunch we even went down Miri town together. I was thinking to myself:
“Why are these people so different from my hometown's folks? The people here are so friendly, so keen to help, so caring, whereas back home people tend to be the exact opposite.”

Later on they brought me to fellowship. At that time I brought along a curious mind, to see whether the people in church are as warm and helpful as they are. To my surprise, it is true! This is also the starting point of knowing Christ for me. The first fellowship made me felt the warmth and care of my brothers and sisters in SMCGC. SMCGC also became my second home in Miri. I remembered during a fellowship once, a sister asked me whether I wanted to join a TOP course. She told me that this course would help me to understand Christ better. I thought at that time the course would resemble some sort of lecture series. I also saw on the bulletin board the registration form for TOP 2: some sort of a next-level course to TOP 1. Overall both sounded like fun, so I signed up. Alas, I discovered later that, not only I had to attend the course every week, but I also had coursework to do! However I told myself that since I had participated, I would try my best to complete it. After the first course, some brothers and sisters even approached me to help me with understanding the contents of the course, and even asked me if I would trust in the Lord. It was then I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior. Through God's guidance and blessing, I successfully completed the TOP program.

Through TOP, I got to know Christ and church more. Moreover, faith in Christ has also changed my life. Where previously I was very quiet; I am starting to be active and involved now. Where previously I love my family; I love and treasure them even more now.