Wednesday, October 9, 2013

CWK Testimony : All things God works for the good of those who love Him


Hi my name is CWK, from Kuala Lumpur in West Malaysia, currently a student in Curtin University.
Every time I mentioned that, people tend to ask:
“There are so many universities in West Malaysia, why do you choose to come to the East to Miri for studies?”
Then people will usually ask:
“Do you feel that we are living on trees? Then again our trees have elevators. Ha ha ha...”
And thus most will laugh, and that's how the joke usually runs.

However personally for me, I really do not know how to answer that question.
Because the main reason I chose to come here to Miri...is to escape.

Before I came to Miri, I was a very rebellious person, with bad temper, often hanging out with friends til' the wee hours: a child who does not like to go home. Every time I returned home I would be quarreling with my family members. We basically never had the chance to happily sit down and had a meal together on the same table. This is due to an incident when I was still in primary school, which resulted in my family never being the same ever again.

The truth is, my father had an affair.

Since then my family fragmented, with everyday being filled with quarrels and unpleasantness. Shortly after my father left us, my older brother also left, thus leaving behind my mother and the twelve-year-old me.

One day, my father suddenly returned. His return triggered a big fight with my mother, who later got so angry that she left the house, leaving me alone with my father. When evening came, we had dinner together: my dad and I. I think it was the first time my dad ever cooked, because I vividly remembered three charred kampung fish, a very salty plate of cabbage, and an omelette. After the meal I was sitting on the sofa watching news. My dad was sitting on the staircase opposite me, his hand supporting his head as if he was resting or thinking. Everything seemed...normal. I was really happy then, because dad was back. Alas I discovered later that: my dad was crying. My dad, the one whom I pictured to be dignified, strong...was shedding tears. I who was on the sofa then could not believe the sight. I could not control myself, hard as I tried, and tears flowed down my cheeks as well. I could see grief in my dad, as well as remorse. He could not change the reality that rested heavily upon him. I could not bear to watch my dad in such state, hence I broke the silence:

“Let's eat papaya.”
I remembered my dad loved cutting up fruits for us. Those long gone days.

My dad stood up, smiled at me, and prepared the papayas.
That was...and still is...the first and last time I ever saw my dad shed tears.

The next day, my dad left home. Not long after my brother moved back. During these tumultuous times, people left and return as they pleased, causing my home to be a mess. I felt really helpless, and chose the one action I knew: to run away.
Yet...I want to go home.
This issue has never been resolved. When I got the chance to enter university later on, I wished to leave my environment behind. Hence I chose Curtin University Miri.

Here I would like to thank a dear sister from SMCGC: CC. From the moment I befriended her during our Frisbee days, she kept inviting me to SMCGC for worship, prayer meeting and fellowship. I realized that I have made a lot of friends in the church, their daily deeds and lives touched me, igniting a curiosity in me about their faith. During this time too, a dear sister by the name of LT, due to her constant persistence and encouragement, I joined the TOP 1 and TOP 2 courses. It was then too I have this longing for a Christian name, hence Pastor Connie christened me with the name 'Rei', meaning 'rejoice always'. I was pleasantly surprised, as well as ecstatic, because I felt as if the pastor had just granted me a precious gift, and a new identity. A huge thanks to my dear brothers and sisters in SMCGC as well, for they are the ones that made me feel the warmth in Miri, and gave me the feeling of home which I had longed for so long.

During my time in TOP, our brother RW asked us a life-changing question:
“Do any of you want to be baptized?”
When I heard this, my heart wanted, however there was a strong force that prevented me from doing so. Brother RW gave us a week to pray and consider this life-changing decision. During that time, the world was stormed by 'Linsanity': a sudden recognition of the otherwise unknown Jeremy Lin. A sister shared a video clip of him explaining the advent of 'Linsanity'. Even though he encountered setbacks, and even thought of giving up on basketball once, but whenever he recalled his journey in the NBA career, he would think of this verse from Romans 8:28:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.”

Lin also shared that:
“When we are successful and are comfortable in life, it is easy to say that all things work together for the good of those who love God, however in my life of frustrations and disappointments, I can still say that this verse holds true. Because I can see God's hand working, using everything around me, my environment, whether the good or bad, to benefit me.”

After watching Jeremy Lin's sharing, I was deeply moved. A realization gradually overcame my mind, that all these years, God has been knocking unceasingly on the door to my heart, waiting patiently for me to open it up for Him. I now understand why my life story thus far had been so, and all of these are not mere accidents. All these hardships are not sufferings, but opportunities for me to grow. Through my own life I can learn so much valuable experience. That moment, I felt a full sense of serenity, because I know God is real, and I shall not hesitate anymore. I prayed unto Him, thanking Him for His guidance in my life, as well as for His precious gift that enabled me to come before Him, to know Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, who sacrificed himself to be nailed on the Cross so his precious blood washed away my sin, who rose again from the dead, to grant me eternal life.

I really thank the Lord for using this way to let me know Christ. Although the process leading up to this is not as what I had imagined, yet I know I am precious and unique in His sight. Since then no matter whatever besets me, be it good or bad, I shall trust in the Lord. I shall not fear, because I believe the Lord reigns in my life.

Thanks be to God, and all glory be unto Him who reigns above!