Thursday, October 2, 2014

A Spiritual Adventure by Vivien

From growing up in a Christian home, the words “short term mission” was never odd to me as I always heard of it in the church. More often than not, there will be testimony sharing by brothers or sisters in Christ to share about their experience during the mission trip. It is quite happy and a bit of envious to see everyone that went out to the world to spread gospel and work for God. As for me, I never join a mission trip before not even once. However, I always have my excuses to not joining any mission trip like lazy, busy or no friends going together, despite much persuasion by others.

Remembering back last year, I decided to register for Disciple 1 class without having much thought. In order for us to complete Disciple 1 class at SMCGC, it will take us three semesters which is equivalent to one and a half year. Upon completion of Disciple 1 class, I am graduating from my Bachelor of Degree as well. Thus, it would be a remarkable moment before I end my university life. Thus, through Disciple 1 program, I had the opportunity to participate in short term mission at Tudan Methodist Church.


During the first day of evangelism, everything went perfectly smooth. Every people we visited were friendly and willing to let us speak to them about the four spiritual laws. Throughout the evangelism, I have noticed that most of them are Christian but seldom going to church. Reasons they mentioned were being too busy working, taking care of small children and elders at home, no transportation to name a few. It is quite disheartening to note that there are many Christians out there but drawn away from God and they chose the self-directed life instead of Christ directed life.


The most unforgettable moment during this short term mission is on the second day of door-to-door evangelism. I was grouped with Mok Fei and our first stop was a Chinese family house. They had stated their religion is Buddhism but we insisted to share with them about the four spiritual laws and assure them it won’t be long. Lastly, they allowed us to enter. We knew that spreading gospel to Chinese family is not easy especially to those who are very devoted to their own religion. As I was not fluent in Mandarin, I let Mok Fei do the talking to a mother and a son. The mother is quiet throughout the session and the son continuously interrupted Mok Fei, saying that God is not fair during the time he believes in Christ and he felt helpless at all times. According to him when he was at his most helpless situation, he saw a figure (Buddha or something like that) reveals to him and sort of lend him a helping hand. Thus, he felt that he gained strength and never believes in Christ anymore as God never help him. There and then, I realized how a belief of a human to God can be easily shaken and overtaken by Satan. When the son asked us a lot of questions about his doubts to God, I do not know how to answer him. I just remain quiet throughout the time as I do not know how to handle it. Imagine my relief when Mok Fei can answer him nicely and with much patience. At that moment, I felt ashamed of myself for being unable to help Mok Fei for I have only a little knowledge about the Bible. Nevertheless, I know that this is one of the obstacles given by God to me as training to become a better Christian.


“For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.” Titus 2:11-12



During this mission trip at Tudan Methodist Church, God does reveal himself to me in many ways. By God’s guide:-

1. I had the little courage to share the gospel with people during the door-to-door evangelism and prayer walking.
2. I stepped out from the comfort zone to speak in front of many people.
3. Do not judge the book by its cover. Some people’s appearances might be unkempt and their surrounding was trashy and run-down but they turned out to be very friendly and most willingly to hear what we wanted to say to them.
4. I speak fluent Bahasa Malaysia whereby not everyone can actually do. This is God’s gift to me and make me realized that I had use it in a right place now.
5. He showed me about me about genuine worship with Him by waking up early for morning devotion.
6. He showed me about unity in teams working together. I thank the Lord for leading me through this mission trip together with my Disciple 1 classmates and let me achieve bit of maturity in Christian life.

All in all, I have learned a lot during short term mission at Tudan Methodist Church. To be frank, it inspires me to join more short term missions whenever possible “for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose”- Philippians 2:13.